Rescure - Debian LILO failure after upgraded to 3.1

Phillip Qin Phillip.Qin-szgMhqSEIEG+XT7JhA+gdA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 21 17:35:10 UTC 2005

To rescue my system, I boots from a knoppix CD. At boot prompt, knoppix
root=/dev/hda2. knoppix boots from its own boot partition. It then mounts my
/dev/hda2 (my /) on /mnt/hda2, my /dev/hda1 (my /boot) on /mnt/hda1 and its
/dev/root (/boot and /) on /. I tried to use lilo.real to recreate the map
using my lilo.conf to no avail.

lilo.real -C /mnt/hda2/etc/lilo.conf -m /mnt/hda1/boot/map
Ignoring entry "map"
FATAL: creat /mnt/hda1/boot/map~: No such file or directory