Rescure - Debian LILO failure after upgraded to 3.1

Seneca seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 21 16:54:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:42:07PM -0400, Phillip Qin wrote:
> I upgraded my debian from 3.0 to 3.1 sarge but I didn't upgrade the kernel
> to sarge's 2.4 kernel. I rebooted my server and all I see is LI and beeps.
> Any thought on how to bring the system back?

Use some other bootable media, such as a livecd, to boot from and mount
your root partition.  After fixing any problems with lilo's config,
rerun lilo using that fixed config (you may need to download a copy of
lilo, depending on what's on the bootdisk).  Alternately, you can switch
bootloaders, if you really want.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org