Rescure - Debian LILO failure after upgraded to 3.1

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 21 16:47:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:42:07PM -0400, Phillip Qin wrote:
> I upgraded my debian from 3.0 to 3.1 sarge but I didn't upgrade the kernel
> to sarge's 2.4 kernel. I rebooted my server and all I see is LI and beeps.
> Any thought on how to bring the system back?

Remember that due to lilo's silly map file (where it stores the location
of the blocks of each file it uses) feature, you MUST run the lilo
command after every change (such as upgrading lilo and/or installing a
new kernel and/or updating lilo.conf).

You probably upgraded lilo as part of upgrading the system.  Had you
updated the kernel it would have asked if you wanted to rerun lilo to
update the lilo map files.

With grub none of that is required of course.  Probably part of why
debian defaults to grub in 3.1 on new installs.  update-grub is also a
good reason.

Lennart Sorensen