OT: VMWare SeminarJune 16.

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 18 18:57:31 UTC 2005

Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On June 17, 2005 07:16 am, Sy wrote:
>
> > Does this mean I can run Xen as my main setup[2], run Linux within it
> > and then run VMware inside that to use Windows?
>
> I had a few Xen domains on my laptop (Debian) at one point for testing but
> support for apm and other things very useful for laptops seems to be lost (or
> at least works poorly) under Xen.  These days I'm using SuSE Pro 9.3 for Xen
> work (SuSE ships Xen prebuilt, ready to go).

Xen works nicely in Debian too, Debian packages for Xen are available from
non-standard places.

> You cannot run vmware inside a Linux/Xen instance at this time, vmware needs
> access to raw hardware and Xen does not provide that (it's doesn't fully
> emulate x86 arch).

But you can run QEMU (w/o the accelerator) or Bochs and run Windows in
them. This may be good enough, if your requirements are modest and your
hardware is sufficiently fast. Just don't expect to break any speed records.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada