wxPython on Debian?

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 17 00:18:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:42:18PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

>William, in the future, if you are having this sort of a problem, you can
>start a python shell, type "help", type "modules", and if you do not see the
>module that you think you should be seeing, you can be sure it got installed
>somewhere that is not in PYTHONPATH. As you have discovered, that is possible
>when you have more than one Python installation. Python modules, like
>wxPython, typically get installed in the site-packages directory so you could
>also just look in the filesystem.

I am discovering this, thank you.  Each day I plan to use Python should
begin with the following mantra: "Python is not Perl, this is not the
CPAN you are looking for - move along" and then I'd probably be fine.

>While you are developing Python apps, you will also find that you will have to
>add things to PYTHONPATH in order to be able to import them into the
>namespace. I usually do this by just having a shell script to wrap the main
>Python script to export my paths so that the changes to PYTHONPATH are not
>persistent.

Good advice, thanks - so far my Python programs are going to get run
through pyexe and used on Windoze, but it's good to be reminded of open
source portability.
--

yours,

William