wxPython on Debian?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 23:42:18 UTC 2005

On June 16, 2005 18:14, William O'Higgins wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 04:30:18PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >Good to know that [python] 2.3 and [python] 2.4 are at least compatible
> >enough that you can just copy it.
> >
> >Any particular reason for wanting 2.4 over 2.3?
>
> The way I see it, if I'm just learning a new language, but I suspect
> I'll use it in the future, I'll learn the most modern iteration that's
> stable.  The future is where I'll be living the rest of my life, after
> all.  As a counter-example, if I was just learning Perl, I'd learn Perl
> 6, because the adjustment from 5 to 6 is significant.

<http://python.org/doc/2.4.1/whatsnew/whatsnew24.html>

William, in the future, if you are having this sort of a problem, you can
start a python shell, type "help", type "modules", and if you do not see the
module that you think you should be seeing, you can be sure it got installed
somewhere that is not in PYTHONPATH. As you have discovered, that is possible
when you have more than one Python installation. Python modules, like
wxPython, typically get installed in the site-packages directory so you could
also just look in the filesystem.

While you are developing Python apps, you will also find that you will have to
add things to PYTHONPATH in order to be able to import them into the
namespace. I usually do this by just having a shell script to wrap the main
Python script to export my paths so that the changes to PYTHONPATH are not
persistent.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay