Compaq LTE 5200

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 16:39:14 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:18:16PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
>

>>I have this relic and would like to make it useful in some way. It is
>>120Mhz, with 40 MB and a 1.35GB drive. There is no CDROM and I haven't
>>had any luck finding one. I was able to acquire a docking station for it
>>which has two bays. One bay provides a second floppy device and there is
>>room for a CDROM. The docking station also provides a network device.
>>
>>I have made some progress so far. I used a Slackware bareapm.i bootdisk
>>to install a 2.2 kernel and a few packages over NFS. It can now be
>>booted on its own and I have full network functionality (lynx, ftp,
>>ssh). The machine has gcc 2.95.3 and 350 MB free on an ext3 file system.
>>I gave it 130 MB swap.
>>
>>Is it at all possible to bring this old thing to a 2.6 on its own one
>>build at a time? I'm just a regular RPM guy and am not sure how to
>>proceed with all this MAKE stuff. In other words, if it can be done do I
>>start by building a new kernel and then the compiler and glibc? There
>>must be a method to this kind of madness.
>>

>You could just go install Debian on it.  I run Debian on a 486/66 with
>48M ram and you can certainly easily fit in 1.3G.  It even comes with a
>2.6 kernel so you don't have to go compile anything.  Debian still
>supports 386's although through some kernel instruction emulation caused
>by glibc 2.3 requirements of 486 or better processors.
>
>You can install debian as long as you have a network connection and a
>floppy drive, and can start the netinstall using the boot, root and net
>floppy images.  The rest it can get over the network link.  I have done
>that method before.
>
>A cdrom install is simpler (slightly), but if you don't have a cdrom
>drive, that doesn't help.
>
>Lennart Sorensen
>--

OK fine I'll do it your way, but first I need to know will I be able to
rebuilt the kernel and iptables from souce and install them cleanly on
Debian? I was unable to do it with Fedora because of all the quirky
things they do to the packages. I had success with a Mandrake distro one
time ago with RPM but I've never worked with DEB ever in my whole linux
life, oh except for that Xandros mistake I made the other day...

Can I patch, build and install a kernel and iptables cleanly and where
can I get more info on this wonderful Debian, Sarge?