Compaq LTE 5200

Seneca seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 16:41:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:18:16PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
> I have this relic and would like to make it useful in some way. It is
> 120Mhz, with 40 MB and a 1.35GB drive. There is no CDROM and I haven't
> had any luck finding one. I was able to acquire a docking station for it
> which has two bays. One bay provides a second floppy device and there is
> room for a CDROM. The docking station also provides a network device.

That "relic" can still be useful, and is more powerful than the laptop
that I carry around.

> I have made some progress so far. I used a Slackware bareapm.i bootdisk
> to install a 2.2 kernel and a few packages over NFS. It can now be
> booted on its own and I have full network functionality (lynx, ftp,
> ssh). The machine has gcc 2.95.3 and 350 MB free on an ext3 file system.
> I gave it 130 MB swap.

I probably would've given it a bit less swap and left a bit more for the
main partitions.

> Is it at all possible to bring this old thing to a 2.6 on its own one
> build at a time? I'm just a regular RPM guy and am not sure how to
> proceed with all this MAKE stuff. In other words, if it can be done do I
> start by building a new kernel and then the compiler and glibc? There
> must be a method to this kind of madness.

If at all possible, I would recommend doing the compiles on another
computer.  They can be done on it, but when the kernel takes 3+ hours to
build (could be less, estimating from 2.4 on a P100 with 16MB RAM), gcc
and glibc taking a very large amount of time and space for their builds,
and the fact that 350MB is probably not enough space for some of these
source trees, it will be painful and quite possibly require the use of
the likes of NFS (eg. LFS states that a recent glibc will require >
700MB for the source and build).  If you really want to go the build-
everything-from-source route, you can, but plan ahead.  Linux From
Scratch <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/> would be a useful reference
in terms of the ordering and hardware requirements of the compiles if
you do the build on the P120.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org