Compaq LTE 5200

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 16:18:16 UTC 2005

tlug,

I have this relic and would like to make it useful in some way. It is
120Mhz, with 40 MB and a 1.35GB drive. There is no CDROM and I haven't
had any luck finding one. I was able to acquire a docking station for it
which has two bays. One bay provides a second floppy device and there is
room for a CDROM. The docking station also provides a network device.

I have made some progress so far. I used a Slackware bareapm.i bootdisk
to install a 2.2 kernel and a few packages over NFS. It can now be
booted on its own and I have full network functionality (lynx, ftp,
ssh). The machine has gcc 2.95.3 and 350 MB free on an ext3 file system.
I gave it 130 MB swap.

Is it at all possible to bring this old thing to a 2.6 on its own one
build at a time? I'm just a regular RPM guy and am not sure how to
proceed with all this MAKE stuff. In other words, if it can be done do I
start by building a new kernel and then the compiler and glibc? There
must be a method to this kind of madness.

Thanks,
farmer6re9