Daniel Robbins hired by M$

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 15:40:23 UTC 2005

Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, James Knott wrote:
>>Anyone here remember the Oliver Audio Engineering paper tape readers?
>>They were sold as a kit and were mechanically quite simple.  The tape
>>had to be pulled through by hand.  They sold for about $75, IIRC.
>
> The only problem, if I recall correctly, was that they did their timing
> using the sprocket holes in the tape... so a missing or mispunched
> sprocket hole was big trouble, whereas a tape reader with mechanical feed
> wasn't troubled by it.  (And yes, I have seen tape punches which would
> occasionally omit a sprocket hole.)

Me too.  I used to have to repair them.  Years ago, at the old Toronto
Stock Exchange, there were these Teletype Corp "DRPE" high speed
punches, which used an electromagnet operated resonant reed, to move the
punch pins.  I had to adjust them to punch a clean hole, without staying
in the tape path long enough to snag the tape.