Daniel Robbins hired by M$

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 15:29:09 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:

> It is trivial to build a slow reader using a parallel port interface a
> stepper and some optoelectronic parts. I wanted to make such a device
> but I do not have an incentive (not owning any paper tape).

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a company named Oliver Audio
Engineer produced such a tape reader.  It was essentially a small
circuit board, with sensors that connected to a parallel port.  There
were wire guides, used to keep the tape aligned, as the user manually
pulled it through.  At work, we had some tape readers, that used a
rubber roller to pull the tape through at high speed and a clamp, which
was used to stop the tape.  There was also one, made by a company called
"Facit", which used a stepper motor.