xdm updates and Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 14:34:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:03:37AM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> No, but it was getting confused by the information in
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager as Lennart suggested.  So my problem is
> essentially solved, although I do find it frustrating that if I say
> "apt-get remove xdm" it will uninstall the x-window-system as well.  I
> love apt, and it has rarely given me any cause for complaints (and it
> makes all of my Windoze-using friends insane with jealousy), but this is
> like throwing out my bike with my broken bike pump - silly.

x-window-system is just a convinience meta package that depends on most
parts of X including things like xdm.  You can just let it remove that,
since it won't remove the things it depended on.

I personally don't think xdm should necesarily have been part of that
package, but someone thought it should so it is.  Maybe
x-window-system-core is a better package to use although I don't think
it depends on all the fonts.

Lennart Sorensen