xdm updates and Debian

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 14:03:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:15:23AM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:

>   Your init level is probably controlled by /etc/inittab.

Yup.

>   On my Red Hat system, the line is "id:5:initdefault:", with 5 being
> the initialization level.  This brings up the X Window System.  If you
> change this to 3, you do not get the X Window System.

I am using runlevel 3, but it's a good suggestion.

>   Would Debian change this?

No, but it was getting confused by the information in
/etc/X11/default-display-manager as Lennart suggested.  So my problem is
essentially solved, although I do find it frustrating that if I say
"apt-get remove xdm" it will uninstall the x-window-system as well.  I
love apt, and it has rarely given me any cause for complaints (and it
makes all of my Windoze-using friends insane with jealousy), but this is
like throwing out my bike with my broken bike pump - silly.
--

yours,

William