xdm updates and Debian

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 13:15:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:52:37 -0400
William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I like starting X on my own.  I don't need, or want, xdm or any of its
> fuzzy-headed brethren mediating my login experience.  So I run
> "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" and all is well.  Until I run an update
> (well, a dist-upgrade actually) on a core X component, and then I get
> graphical logins again until I Ctrl-Alt-Backspace three times to get
> back to a good clean console, and re-run my rc.d update script.
>
> I'd love to know why Debian believes that a) I want them to auto-f***
> with my settings or b) that if I don't want xdm, then I don't want X.
> Does anyone have a suggestion to make this tiny, annoying detail go
> away?  Thanks.
> --

William,

   Your init level is probably controlled by /etc/inittab.

   On my Red Hat system, the line is "id:5:initdefault:", with 5 being the initialization level.  This brings up the X Window System.  If you change this to 3, you do not get the X Window System.

   Would Debian change this?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org