Anyone using a Wacom tablet?

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 14 20:00:47 UTC 2005

On 6/14/05, William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I was hoping to get my Wacom tablet running under linux, but I have
> encountered some trouble.  X receives input from the tablet, but
> something isn't right, because when the stylus is registering, the
> cursor spends all of it's time in the top-right corner of the screen.
> Is anyone using a tablet and have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Yo!  I've been there!  :)

There's a Linux-wacom project at sourceforge:
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net

They have instructions on how to get it going (the "HOWTO (detailed)"
link on the left).

The problem so far as I understand it is that the default kernel wacom
driver doesn't understand that it shouldn't interepret pen events as
mouse events, and so it feeds garbage into /dev/input/mice.  The
wacom.ko driver from sourceforge understands this properly and will
direct pen input only to the associated hid interface, not
/dev/input/mice.  Or you can point X directly at your actual mouse and
actual tablet, and it will interpret things properly.

Debian has packages for the wacom driver source.  You can intall it,
incant some magic Debian commands (which it will tell you about), and
*BAM* you'll have kernel modules. :)

--
taa
/*eof*/