xdm updates and Debian

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 14 19:52:37 UTC 2005

I like starting X on my own.  I don't need, or want, xdm or any of its
fuzzy-headed brethren mediating my login experience.  So I run
"update-rc.d -f xdm remove" and all is well.  Until I run an update
(well, a dist-upgrade actually) on a core X component, and then I get
graphical logins again until I Ctrl-Alt-Backspace three times to get
back to a good clean console, and re-run my rc.d update script.

I'd love to know why Debian believes that a) I want them to auto-f***
with my settings or b) that if I don't want xdm, then I don't want X.
Does anyone have a suggestion to make this tiny, annoying detail go
away?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William