Daniel Robbins hired by M$

Chris Friedt Chfriedt-0jnyayh6ARPqzrOJbVgLALDks+cytr/Z at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 14 13:51:09 UTC 2005

I don't know if anyone noticed on slashdot this morning, but Daniel
Robbins, founder of Gentoo Linux has recently been hired by Microsoft.

I guess it's not surprising, considering that one of MS's many business
strategies has usually been to buy out / reverse engineer any
competition or new ideas. Gentoo is mainly know for using portage - a
sophisticated dependency tree and package management system.

I suppose the person who originally came up with the idea for BSD's
ports would have had an offer if BSD had been as popular w/ the masses
as Linux.

As much as i feel that he's 'crossed over to the dark side', I'm still
somewhat glad that he's transferred all of his intellectual property
rights to the gentoo foundation.

Any thoughts?

~/Chris