Large html pages and slow load times/high CPU usage

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 14 12:28:06 UTC 2005

Madison Kelly wrote:

>   I am stress-testing my backup program now and I've noticed that with a
> sample partition with ~26,000 directories when they are all set to be
> displayed it creates a ~1.5MB html file.

I have to ask -- is it ever really useful to present the user with this
much data? It does sound like you're testing a slightly unusual option
on your software. Even so, what user could make sense of even a tenth of
this output?

It might be better to use some kind of data pager (there are Perl
modules that will handle paging through query results with little extra
programming effort). You could represent the data some other way (a
tree?) to let the user drill down to see what they're interested in.

I don't think we can expect HTML to implement proper text tabulation any
time soon. The time for that was HTML 2.0, or earlier. What it has is
meant for small display tables, not thousands of lines of results.

cheers,
 Stewart