slashdot: m$ praises unix and linux shell clis and prepares to emulate them

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 12 21:47:45 UTC 2005

On June 12, 2005 11:50, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:14:51PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote
>
> > Have you ever tried coLinux <http://www.colinux.org/>? It looks somewhat
> > interesting.
>
>   This is a federal government workplace and, in our building at least,
> the IT people don't like unnecessary software on desktps, and I don't
> blame them.  There are the usual security/privacy concerns.  I found
> that Windows98SE was quite stable for me a few years ago.  Of course, I
> didn't have "comet cursors", "toolbars", and a bunch of other crud
> fighting for control of the IE "home page", like other people did <g>.

It used to be the case that you could keep your Windows box deloused by not
installing such things. That no longer seems to be the case. The biggest
growth area of malware is in so called "drive by" malware where all you have
to do is to visit an infected web site while using IE.

>   I can demonstrate a need for Cygwin (productivity increase, blah,
> blah, blah).  The fact that it's owned by Redhat helps in terms of
> giving IT "the warm fuzzies". (We have quite a few linux servers in the
> building, with Redhat being the distro of choice).  A full-blown linux
> distro is overkill.  And furthermore, I'm being paid to query (SQL and
> PL/SQL) and analyse climate data, not to administer a linux distro on my
> desktop.  I indulge in my hobby at home, not at work.  I assume that my
> supervisor knows (or can find out) everything I have on my workplace PC,
> and I act accordingly.

So who who administers/delouses the Windows box on your desk and reinstalls
from scratch when it becomes slow, crash prone, or otherwise unusable?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation