Restoring /etc/resolv.conf after a modem/router burp

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 12 21:46:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

This will probably be as easy-peasy question for some of you, but
right now the answer is frustratingly beyond my reach.

I use OpenVPN to stay in touch with my employer's LAN, through
Sympatico's DSL service. I have nameserver statements at the top of my
/etc/resolv.conf file to let me use the Company's name servers to get
to the company servers that I need to, as well as a search statement
for the company domain. Below that are the standard Sympatico name
servers.

Every once in a while either the modem or the router (Netgear RP614)
goes burp and my /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten with Sympatico's
two name servers. When that happens, I have to go back into
/etc/resolv.conf and add in the definitions to get name service
working with my employer's LAN again.

Now, OpenVPN comes up right away, so I could use just the IP
addresses, but name servers were invented for a reason -- so you
wouldn't have to remember if that server was 192.168.0.123 bu instead
was foo.bar.com.

So really my question boils down to:

What causes /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten on a modem or router
burp, and how can I hook that to automagically fix it?

Thanks much.

Alex