slashdot: m$ praises unix and linux shell clis and prepares to emulate them

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 12 15:50:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:14:51PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote

> Have you ever tried coLinux <http://www.colinux.org/>? It looks somewhat
> interesting.

  This is a federal government workplace and, in our building at least,
the IT people don't like unnecessary software on desktps, and I don't
blame them.  There are the usual security/privacy concerns.  I found
that Windows98SE was quite stable for me a few years ago.  Of course, I
didn't have "comet cursors", "toolbars", and a bunch of other crud
fighting for control of the IE "home page", like other people did <g>.

  I can demonstrate a need for Cygwin (productivity increase, blah,
blah, blah).  The fact that it's owned by Redhat helps in terms of
giving IT "the warm fuzzies". (We have quite a few linux servers in the
building, with Redhat being the distro of choice).  A full-blown linux
distro is overkill.  And furthermore, I'm being paid to query (SQL and
PL/SQL) and analyse climate data, not to administer a linux distro on my
desktop.  I indulge in my hobby at home, not at work.  I assume that my
supervisor knows (or can find out) everything I have on my workplace PC,
and I act accordingly.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca