slashdot: m$ praises unix and linux shell clis and prepares to emulate them

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 11 04:59:01 UTC 2005

  What exactly will it acomplish that Cygwin can't do today? (Longhorn
ain't done till Cygwin won't run?).  At work, Windows XP is the official
OS.  I do quite a bit of work with large textfiles of scientific data,
but not enough to justify a *nix workstation of my own.  cut/sed/grep
etc, etc, are very handy.  At one point, I was ftp'ing data to a unix
server, working on the files under unix, and ftp'ing the results back to
my Windows machine.  Now I just switch over to a Cygwin window, and
pretend that I'm at home on this here linux box.  And Cygwin's bash and
other utilities are much more familiar to me than HP-UX's versions.

  One serendipitous side-effect of a full Cygwin install is that it
includes X, so Exceed for Windows becomes unnecessary.  This discovery
caused some excitement for another office in our building, which needed
half-a-dozen people running X apps from their Windows PCs.  They found
only one significant difference between's Exceed's X and Cywin's X...
namely $900 per seat<g>.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca