x86-64 box

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 8 18:06:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:28:35PM -0400, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> Assuming you are going with more than 4G of memory and want to use it,
> then go with SuSE. They did the port and their support for 64bit is
> still unrivaled (although debian and fedora are starting to get close).
>
> If you don't have more than 4G of memory then you're wasting your money
> going 64bit. You'll also get slightly better performance (for the vast
> majority of applications) running in 32 bit. There are plenty of
> excellent distros in this category. I'd recommend Ubuntu if you just
> want to use the box.
>
> Either way, you're better off ignoring the Gentoo kiddies.

Actually many things run faster in 64bit mode on the athlon64 chips,
while it seems the reverse is true on the intel em64t chips.

For ram hungry applications it is worth it on both, but for general
purpose, 64bit still is often faster on the AMDs while intel users may
want to stick to 32bit for now unless they need to mmap large files for
simplicity.

Lennart Sorensen