x86-64 box

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 8 13:16:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:40:23PM +0800, JM wrote:
> 	we will be buying a 64-bit box, i was wondering if i need to recompile my
> kernel for this?

You can run i386 on it just fine, but (at least if it is an amd) it will
run faster with 64bit software in general.

Debian includes a 64bit kernel and some 64bit libraries with their i386
version that can run on em64t and amd64 chips and let you run the system
mainly 32bit, but run a few programs 64bit where it makes sense to do
so, and of course you can run the unofficail amd64 port of Sarge in a
chroot to install 64bit packages which you can then run either in the
chroot or from outside (as long as the chroot's lib dirs are in
/etc/ld.so.conf.  I find it works great that way.  Base system is 32bit
and known to work well, and for some thigns 64bit can be used even
though it isn't officially supported yet.

Lennart Sorensen