Help on controlling BASH command line

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 6 21:20:50 UTC 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 03:38 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Which version of bash are you using?
>
> It does not do proper wrapping here using bash 2.05.0(1)-release using
> your prompt above.
>
> When I switch to bash3 then it does work.  bash2 is often the default
> due to bugs/incompatible changes in bash3.
>
> You may be using bash 3.x which likely fixed that problem in a similar
> way to how zsh has fixed it years ago.
>
> Lennart Sorensen
Hi Lennart,
I am glade you take an interst in this little side issue.

[john]:  03:08 PM   [~]
$bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu)
[john]:  05:10 PM   [~]
$

Actually, there is a problem with bash ver 3. It limited the line to about 20
char. There is a patch available that fixed this problem, but I do not recall
what the batch number is. It was due to this that I converted back to ver
2.05 and even after I found out about the patch for ver 3 I only verified
that it cured the problem, but decided to stay with 2.05.
There are also some other problems with ver 3 and it might take some time
until all te bugs are taken care of.
John