Linux + Firefox + CJK chars

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 4 06:02:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:03:03PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:01:33PM -0400, Taavi Burns wrote:
> > I get the boxes with hex numbers in them on my debian (sarge) box.  I
> > don't remember installing support for it, and have no idea if it's
> > easy or not. :)
>
> I think installing the microsoft font package or perhaps unifont should
> take care of it.  As long as you have some font that supports the
> encoding it seems to work.
>
> Openoffice also looks much better with msttcorefonts installed if you
> try and view MS office documents.

In <alt.os.linux.slackware> newsgroup, I was pointed to something called
Cyberbit TTF font.
    ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/Cyberbit.ZIP
So, I installed it under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, and it works!
Full instruction has been posted to the newsgroup, since this seems to
be Slackware issue.
    Subject: Slackware Linux + Firefox + CJK fonts

To those of you whose Firefox works out of box, can you check your
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, and see if it contains anything other
than 'Vera*' and 'luxi*'?

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada