dedicated hosting in GTA?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 3 12:52:49 UTC 2005

On 6/3/05, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Fernando, are you a Windows user? There is no reboot button on Linux
> machines. And I can tell you, as a sort of Linux sysadmin, that it
> happened once in my life only that I had to turn off the power from a
> Linux server.
>
> Hence, yes, I am willing to drive 10 hours. The costs in Canada for
> colocation are from the planet Moon. Why?

Come on, now.

We have systems in India, and have found it invaluable that the HP
hardware supports a method for allowing us to see the "boot console"
all the way from North America.

The machines don't get rebooted all that often, but if there's a disk
failure, there's a need for that sort of thing.  I'm certainly not
getting on a plane to India if a machine needs rebooting!!!

It may be that particularly simple Linux configurations do not need
rebooting; as you get into complex stuff like md, or disk array
"multipath," it turns out to be somewhat more needful :-(.

Furthermore, there's something about Murphy's Law...  If you have the
capability to power cycle machines remotely, you'll almost never need
to.  If you don't, you'll find you need it :-(.  In colo situations,
it is extremely convenient to have remotely-accessible power switches
and consoles.

It'll be particularly valuable if you have to stick the hardware in
another country because it's cheaper there...

I'm a bit surprised that there aren't some cheap options out in Mississauga.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)