Open Source for mission-critical systems (slightly OT)

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 2 02:45:49 UTC 2005

 Goldman and Sach also has a couple of thousand linux servers. TheNew York Stock exchange moved (if they have completed) to linux for the settlement system.
Generally any place where proprietary UNIX is used with inhouse software, linux is a better choice for the system.

For the record: db/2, Oracle, Informix, and Sybase all provide linux database servers, so migrating is usually fairly painless (normally a recompile, unless your software is using some weird part of the OS your moving from). In one case I know where it wasn't painless.

Bill