presenting Linux to Windows admins

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 18:15:43 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [..]
>
> I do not know where the 'calling them stupid' part came in, I certainly
> did not imply this. The point is that they are used to use a gui for
> everyting and, to make the bitter pill of 95% non-gui admin on Linux
> easier to swallow, one should show them that the OS can do gui but that
> there is another way (more than one), that text editors like vi are
> completely usable after one learns 6 simple commands, etc.

Having used Linux for the last seven years, I can say that I'm still
learning all there is to know about being a Sysadmin. And vi, while a
powerful editor, can get confusing really fast if you get your modes
mixed up -- Typing any word while in command mode (rather than insert
mode) is guaranteed to mess things up fast.

I still find myself in vi (vim, actually) staring at a screen that has
definitely not 'quit' -- so I press 'q' again, confirm that I see
'recording' at the bottom, nod to myself, press 'q' again, then a
colon, and finally 'q' to quit. I assume there's some kind of macro
feature in vim -- I've never used it.

Alex