openoffice / other broken packages in sid

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 28 23:17:26 UTC 2005

Today I did a base install of Debian on my laptop, upgraded to Sid...

---------------------------------------

(my sources.list)
# unstable archives
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

# unstable archives - src
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

... did my...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade

....and successfully installed xserver-xorg and a number of other
packages. But when I tried to install OpenOffice or its components I
get a slew of broken dependencies:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-debian-files (> 1.1.3+1.1.4)
but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: openoffice.org-bin (> 1.1.3+1.1.4) but it
is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Subsequently, I found other big packages with broken installs such as
the Gimp and Gnome. I tried a repeated install attempt after another
apt-get update with no luck. Any other Debian users experiencing a
pile of broken packages? Any suggested workarounds? I Googled around
but not sure why so much appears to be broken or how to fix.

Thanks for any help... Daniel