Bitten by the Rogers port 25 blockage

akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 28 18:59:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Rick Delaney wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:18:14PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>>
>> Well, it happened to me over last weekend.
>>
>> I've had a Hylafax server configured to mail incoming faxes to me. As of
>> the weekend, everything is stuck and I've found that port 25 to anything
>> is blocked.. The only thing Rogers tells me is to use port 587 instead
>> of 25 for outgoing SMTP connections.
>>
>> I have no idea how to modify the Postfix that sits on my Hylafax server
>> to do this. Any suggestions?
>
> This happened to me a couple of weeks ago too.  I'm not sure how to tell
> postfix to use port 587 or even if that is a good solution.  My solution
> for now is to just relay everything through Rogers' (Yahoo's) mailserver.
>
> Changes I made (Debian):
>
> - apt-get install postfix-tls
> - added to /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
>    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>    smtp_sasl_security_options =
>    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/.passwd
>    relayhost = [smtp-rog.mail.yahoo.com]

port 587 is not for SMTP relay - it is SMTP submission. You shouldnt set
up postfix to use 587. all you need to do is add the above lines to
postfix and it will use the yahoo mail server as a relay. Port 465 is
secure SMTP relay.

if you are on a client like Evolution, set the SMTP port to 587 on the
client and enable SMTP-ssl.