Bitten by the Rogers port 25 blockage

Rick Delaney rick-h4KjNK7Mzas at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 28 18:31:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:18:14PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Well, it happened to me over last weekend.
>
> I've had a Hylafax server configured to mail incoming faxes to me. As of
> the weekend, everything is stuck and I've found that port 25 to anything
> is blocked.. The only thing Rogers tells me is to use port 587 instead
> of 25 for outgoing SMTP connections.
>
> I have no idea how to modify the Postfix that sits on my Hylafax server
> to do this. Any suggestions?

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago too.  I'm not sure how to tell
postfix to use port 587 or even if that is a good solution.  My solution
for now is to just relay everything through Rogers' (Yahoo's) mailserver.

Changes I made (Debian):

- apt-get install postfix-tls
- added to /etc/postfix/main.cf:

    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtp_sasl_security_options =
    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/.passwd
    relayhost = [smtp-rog.mail.yahoo.com]

- /etc/postfix/sasl/.passwd looks like this:

smtp-rog.mail.yahoo.com     rick.delaney-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org:my_password

  You need to run

        postmap hash:.passwd

  on it.