Slow response to SSH from within network?

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 27 12:31:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:02:46PM -0400, William Park wrote:
>> I notice that there seems to be a ten second delay before offering
>> [an ssh] prompt.  I notice this if I log back into the first (with a
>> head) machine from the new machine, too.  So I have to assume that
>> this is a behaviour rather than a weird glitch, and it makes some
>> sense.
>>
>> However, I still want to turn it off :-)  Anyone know how to get ssh
>> to answer the first ring?  Thanks.
>
>Try the same thing when you're connected to Internet, and your DNS
>queries ('nameservers' in /etc/resolv.conf, 'forwarders' in
>/etc/named.conf) resolves.

Thank you William, Henry, Ansar.  It is certainly a network service
timing out.

This delay only occurs when I am within my network, behind a firewall
router.  Both machines go to 192.168.0.1 [Netgear RP114] for gateway and
DNS, and so the hostnames of the machines behind the firewall will also
resolve to 192.168.0.1 - i.e. the wrong place.  I guess what I'm
wondering is, is there a way to have sshd just blindly accept requests
from within the network?  WinSCP or putty on a windoze box can connect
instantly, so there must be a way.
--

yours,

William