Redhat 9 -- where is "download"?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 26 20:22:27 UTC 2005

On 7/26/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have question about 'rpm' usage.  How do you extract the files into
> current directory, without converting .rpm to .tgz?

Red Hat includes a utility called "rpm2cpio" that converts the RPM
file to a CPIO stream; you then pipe it into cpio to extract the
files.  They will extract by default into your current directory.

For example:
$ rpm2cpio mypackage-1.0-1.i386.rpm | cpio --extract --make-directories "*"

Also, from one of your earlier questions, Red Hat includes the .config
files for all their kernel builds in the "configs/" directory in the
kernel-source RPM.  So when you install that RPM, the source code ends
up in /usr/src/linux-2.4/ and the config files are in configs.  You'll
see ones there for i586, i686, smp, etc.

To use one as a basis for your own compile, copy it up one level and
call it .config, and run "make oldconfig".  Then you can run the
config utility and customize it.

pm

--
Paul Mora