Redhat 9 -- where is "download"?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 26 17:19:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well officially it seems it was to fix problems users reported (They
> do/did have alan cox on contract after all to fix things).  Some people
> also consider it vendor lockin since much of what worked on redhat only
> worked if you used their excact kernel.

Part of what is/was going on behind the scenes here (I'm told) was that
Linux kernel development had *almost* forked:  Alan Cox had an increasing
collection of favorite changes that he hadn't managed to get accepted into
the official kernel, and he was essentially backfitting them into each new
release.  Don't know if this is still happening.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org