linux in the park, public in the dark ?

echin edward.chin-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 25 06:15:29 UTC 2005

>Well, a few days ago Edward Chin sent out the
>following:
>
>This is to inform/remind all the voting members of the
>picnic this Sunday being held at Bickford Park across
>the street from the Linux Caffe at 326 Harbord Street.
>http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=326+harbord+st+,++toronto&spn=0.027371,0.047782&hl=en
>For those old enough to remember, this used to be
>Christie Pits South.
>There will be people there from about 11am to
>whenever.
>Officially 12noon to 6pm.
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Far as I can tell this is a voting members only
>event... I assume the rest of us are not welcome.
>
>Colin McGregor

The posting was a reminder to all the voting members - as a courtesy.
Nowhere does it say "only". As all those who attend the monthly meeting
know,
everyone is welcome to our gatherings - member or not.
The only benefit of being a "voting" member is to vote at the AGM in Sept
when we elect our officers for the year. (and an occassional reminder)
Correction - the other benefit is the warm and fuzzy feeling one gets from
helping and supporting an organization fighting the evil empire.

To clarify matters:    A voting member pays a membership fee of $20
students $10
                               Other members are characterized by their
activity or participation.
                               i.e. Mailing list member, monthly meeting
attendee member

Colin,
You should  have come as I suggested. Many other non-voting  and even a
visiting LUGer from the Philippines showed up. So, I'm glad the posting
didn't confuse everybody. The GTAlug website said it all - Linux in the
park,
an Unofficial Linux in the Park. We all enjoyed the day, had burgers and
sausages,
and gabbed a lot. Look at the pictures. Don't miss the next event!

>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the truth..."

			              Sherlock Holmes