How do I gracefully exit/shutdown a "remote" machine?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 23:20:46 UTC 2005

On July 21, 2005 14:43, William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 02:30:48PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> > On July 21, 2005 07:05, Peter wrote:
> > > Get a disk on key and put putty and ssh statically compiled on
> > > it, along with your keys and minimal tools to use them.
> >
> > I already have that but it does not help when I have to ssh from
> > a remote host to another remote host. How would I plug in this
> > disk on key to a machine in say, Germany, when I am in Toronto so
> > that the machine in Germany could access my private RSA key on
> > the disk on key? Perhaps I could do some sort of remote mount to
> > avoid having to copy my private key onto the remote server.
>
> Use password.  Then, you only need to carry your brain.

According to this article
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-keyc3/> by
Daniel Robbins, the preferred way of doing this is ssh-agent. He
mentions keystroke loggers and memory dumps as possible ways that
your keys can be compromised on untrusted hosts. Password auth is
just as susceptible to keystroke loggers. So, the question is, "Is
the method described in Robbins' article more secure than the
alternatives?"
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay