2.6 kernel tuning guides

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 21:19:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:56:30PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Does anyone know of a book (or howto) that offers good kernel tuning
> advice, particularly things related to 2.6 though 2.4 stuff also would
> be nice.
>
> For example, some sybase tuning docs I read suggest using elvtune to
> tune I/O.  elvtune manpage states "elvtune allows to tune the I/O
> elevator per blockdevice queue basis" ... sounds interesting except:
>
>   myhost:~# elvtune /dev/cciss/c0d0
>   ioctl get: Invalid argument
>
>   elvtune is only useful on older kernels;
>   for 2.6 use IO scheduler sysfs tunables instead..
>
> Hmmm, what sysfs tunables???  I can read the kernel source, and
> occassionally find ideas in there but a good howto or book would go a
> long way!  Hoping I don't have to write the howto ;-)

sysfs tuneables are writeable "files" in /sys

Similar to some adjustable values in /proc

Complete (well mostly) hardware inventory and configuration data is
available in /sys along with some info about how it all connects and how
it is attached to other devices and such.  Very nifty.

Lennart Sorensen