How do I gracefully exit/shutdown a "remote" machine?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 02:45:17 UTC 2005

On July 20, 2005 19:06, William Park wrote:

> > > I disable remote root access on all my machines. How about
> > > disallowing password auth completely and only allowing key
> > > based auth?
> >
> > Crypto authentication -- of both machines and users -- is
> > definitely the way to go if you're going to allow direct root
> > login, and there is much to be said for it in general.
> >
> > (Knowing the root password on my secondary machines wouldn't help
> > you, because it doesn't get you in.  Either the machine already
> > knows who a remote user is and where he's calling from, by crypto
> > authentication, and thus doesn't need to ask for a password, or
> > it doesn't know, and will reject the connection without ever
> > prompting for a password.)
>
> Henry and Clifford,
>
> This issue is my pet peeve, partly because most people simply buys
> the hype because it's in the news.  I do password access only (ie.
> disable key encryption) for all machine access, and do file
> encryption if it's sensitive.  Main reason is that computers get
> stolen.
>
> How would you counter this point?  If you have a machine in
> Waterloo, and your Toronto workstation is stolen.  No one in
> Waterloo knows you, and your car is in garage for a week.  What do
> you do?

Even if someone managed to steal my private RSA key, it would not do
him much good as I have a very strong pass book, err, phrase on it.
Nonetheless, if a machine with my private key on it got stolen, I
would assume that all keys are compromised and remove the public keys
from all the servers that I have put them on immediately and replace
them with new keys.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay