How do I gracefully exit/shutdown a "remote" machine?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 20 16:55:40 UTC 2005

On July 20, 2005 08:59, Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > > session, and then "ssh root at p3box poweroff" ...
> >
> >   Thanks.  Sounds like what I need.  I may make slight changes by
> > creating a dedicated user for shutdown, authorised in
> > /etc/sudoers. Or maybe even make the shutdown process their "user
> > shell".  I don't currently have my machine publicly accessable.
> > But if I ever do, I don't want to have root be able to log in
> > directly
>
> Yes, direct root login can be very convenient for administering
> machines on a seriously-private network, but it's definitely a
> double-edged sword when they become more accessible.

I disable remote root access on all my machines. How about disallowing
password auth completely and only allowing key based auth? The
drawback of that is if I have to ssh into one of my machines from a
machine which does not have my private key, I would have to upload my
private key there first, which I do not like doing even though it is
protected with a strong passphrase.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay