guide me

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 20 20:29:09 UTC 2005

On 7/19/05, Muhammad Imran <imranqau-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am fairly new in Toronto. I am interested in a career in sys admin. I am
> looking for some Volunteer work/Internship/Entry level job in Linux/Unix sys
> admin. I have a Masters' degree in computer science and just passed Comptia
> Linux+ exam. And currently pursuing Sun Certified System Administrator for
> Solaris 10 os. (don't have professional experience though ;) sucks :(
>
> Please can anybody point me to some good resources of how can i find some
> volunteer work or entry level job related to sys admin? or where and how to
> start.

I'm not sure what to suggest vis-a-vis getting attached to an organization.

I'm pretty sure we could use an extra sysadmin or two at work, but
they doubtless want considerably more experience, not merely
certifications and courses.  You need to be sufficiently scarred from
your experiences that someone will mention [some system known to be
problematic] and see you twitch a little :-).

One thing I can suggest is that you take a look at the material from
the USENIX "SAGE" group; they suggest a set of professional activities
to lead you in the right directions.

<http://www.sage.org/>
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)