Any good books/courses on GIMP

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 18 20:28:26 UTC 2005

On 7/16/05, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> To learn something - just continue to use it, Courses will not help
> much. I would never ever take any courses in my life by my will. I got a
> PhD (in physics) by _not_ attending lectures and excersises when I was
> student.

I have to disagree.

There are aspects of GIMP that require understanding its "layering"
model of operations.

There are quite a few things I can do with GIMP without understanding
layers, and, if the uses can be restricted to that, I could learn more
"just by fiddling with it."

But grokking the layer abstraction takes some understanding, whether
that come via a course or some other equivalent means.

You can fiddle almost infinitely with the menus and icon bars without
that providing an understanding of layers.  It takes something else to
provide that understanding...

"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)