TLUG's value to community ???

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 10 18:31:17 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 02:01:09PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 12:19:16PM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
> > None of this required dues or a formal organization, just the
> > personal incentive of the interested participants.
> >
> > So, why does TLUG (which you are renaming to GTALUG) need all
> > this baggage and what does it actually gain us?
>
> I'm told, we can't solicit money unless we're Inc.  Just like LPI/CLUE
> can't go looking for sponsors unless they're Inc.  Why they have problem
> with us doing the same thing as they are doing... ahh, I get the
> picture.

TPM found lots of sponsors for the conference.  For smaller
items (like sponsoring Damian Conway's visits), individuals
offer some of their own money and businesses join in too.
Noone has complained about there needing to be an Inc. for
this and I don't see that any of it would have been made
any easier with incorporation - just that a lot of people's
time would have been taken up in the process of creating and
maintaining the incorporation process.  The loss of that time
is up to the people who chose to apply their time in that way -
open source means deciding which itch you want to scratch -
but if the subsequent result affects other people and their
choices of how they apply their time, then that can be an issue.