TLUG's value to community ???

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 9 03:52:29 UTC 2005

On 7/8/05, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org <billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 2) The volunteer group, specifically the ones that have been doing the behind the scenes
> work have been doing it for five to seven years without thanks, or appreciation, and quite
> frankly have gotten tired of it. The incorporation structure allows people to come and go
> from the volunteer staff with little problems. It doesn't solve the problem of finding the
> volunteers, but at least we know when we need to fill posts.

I don't understand this.  If you're involved in TLUG in order to get
recognition heaped on you, then (in my mind) you're doing it for the
wrong reasons.  If you are "tired" of working in an organization as a
volunteer, then simply leave.  Stop doing it; someone else from the
list or the group will likely pick up the slack, and do it for the
good of the group, not that of the ego.

> The reason GTALUG exist as a legal entity is two fold: back when incororation was
> started we were being asked by the business community to provide such infrastructure
> to facilitate donations of facilities to our cause; and the legal framework allows the rest
> of the world to be able to identify us and thus avoiding people who claim to represent the
> group.

I find it very hard to believe that incorporation was necessary just
to find facilities.  There are facilities available for no cost, you
just have to find them.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.  There
must be Linux-friendly businesses in the Toronto area that would love
to donate a room once a month to hold a meeting.

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org