Sympatico AUP

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 6 11:38:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:37:59AM -0400, Andrew Hammond wrote:

> John Macdonald wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:15:35PM -0400, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> >>I happen to agree with their position. If you want to run servers, lease
> >>a box in co-lo or buy a service package which supports it.
> >
> > So, you figure that people who want to and can run their own
> > services without using the ISP handholding should pay business
> > rates?  Double the price for not using *their* services?
>
> Yes. Or find a provider who offers a package you would find appropriate.
> Breaking a contract is never a good idea. Doing it with demonstrable
> intent and forethought is plain stupid.

Sympatico changed their AUP after I had been a customer for a
couple of years - originally I chose them over Rogers *because*
their AUP did not prohibit running servers.  Rogers and
Sympatico were the only two choices possible at that time
(1997 or so).

The change went in stages.  First they changed their AUP to
make it their perogative to block some services; later they
started blocking outgoing SMTP (which meant that you had to
send outgoing email through their server and they thus had a
chance to tag it and monitor it, but it could still refer to
your private domain).  About 3 years later, with no warning,
they started blocking incoming SMTP - which prevents you from
operating your own domain.

They were the ones who broke our original agreement, with
intent and forethought.