Sympatico AUP

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 5 13:38:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:55:29AM -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> My apologies for posting this on a Linux list; but as I was setting up
> FreeBSD on one of my laptops I had some issues getting remote access.
> I just read this from the simpatico AUP. It seems they are enforcing it
> through firewall policies. Does this mean that they can arbitrarily block
> any inbound protocol/port?
Many ISPs reserve the right to block ports at any time to stop worm
breakouts and other sudden bandwidth eating problems.

> In addition to these Policies, while using your Sympatico account, you are
> prohibited from conducting activities that include, but are not limited to:
> *	Sharing of your Sympatico user account UserID and password for any
> purpose, including, without limitation, for concurrent dial up login
> sessions from the same Sympatico user account.
Pretty sure they have the same kind of restriction, although they only
use the login for email.  The cable modem doesn't use any login
information.

> *	Causing an Internet host to become unable to effectively service
> requests from other hosts.
Hmm, that's pretty badly worded.  Does this mean if I have a 5Mbit
connection and connect to an ftp server that has a 1.5Mbit link and
download a file, thereby taking all the bandwidth, that I am violating
the user agreement?  It would make it harder for that ftp server to
start serving someone else (although it should after a short delay start
a session with someone else and start sharing the available bandwidth).

> *	Running and/or hosting Server Applications including but not limited
> to HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP, Proxy/SOCKS, NNTP, )
Rogers certainly says the same.

> *	Analyzing or penetrating an Internet host's security mechanisms.
Many ISPs have that one

> *	Forging any part of the TCP/IP packet headers in any way.
Hmm, I wonder what that means.  Probably not a problem in general.

> Does Rogers also have the same limitation?
Certainly the important ones.

If you want less restrictions, you have to go with a smaller, less
beurocratic ISP (typically DSL provider).

Lennart Sorensen