Need an ISP in TO

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 2 23:06:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, James Knott wrote:

> I think you'll find most ISP's are not so much Linux friendly, but not
> Linux hostile.  They don't mind you using Linux or anything else, but
> just don't expect much in the way of support.  What really gets me, is
> the way ISPs claim they're fighting SPAM, viruses etc., yet supporting
> only Windows, Outlook and IE, running without a firewall/router.  It's
> almost as though they're encouraging viruses.

Quite a few of the small local ISPs seem to be comfortable with Linux.

I've found http://www.canadianisp.com/ to be useful.  As one of the former
iStop clients I recently called a number of the ISPs on the list and
confirmed that they support Linux at the client end.  I ask them if they
expect me to put an MS-Windows box on my end to diagnose a connectivity
problem.  If the answer is yes I do not sign up.

At this stage I'm going with Cybersurf anyway and I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.