Shared Memory

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 20:55:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:34:28PM -0500, Martin Duclos wrote:
> I think one important consideration with the SATA drives is the fact that
> even tho the bus speed is higher, the total throughput of the drive remains
> the same as an ATA drive. Unless there has been big changes in drive seek
> times and such, I don't there there any advantage throughput wise in
> getting SATA.

When they get native command queueing (NCQ) added in it will start to
make a difference.  Command queueing used to be a SCSI only feature but
real SATA drives have it too.  Most SATA drives so far have been IDE
drives with a SATA interface added, not true SATA drives.  A few new
drives are true SATA though and support the full spec.

Lennart Sorensen