seeking suitable 2.5in HD

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 17:57:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:52:56PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> I have a 2.5in USB2 enclosure that I bought for a spare (and now I find;
> kaput) 12gig HD. I want to put something in there but before I go down
> to College & Spadina, I'm hoping to enjoy, again, the collective wisdom
> of TLUG.
>
> -It doesn't have to be the highest capacity; 20gig would be fine, 40gig
> fabulous.
> -must be min 7200rpm (for video)
> -should be as durable/reliable as possible (carried around in a bag)
> -bootable (maybe ubuntu, maybe DSL)
>
> suggestions ?

Well my suggestion is:
Forget the 2.5" enclosure and get a 3.5" one and get a real HD with real
capacity running 7200rpm.  It will likely cost less and give you 3 times
the capcity and more speed than any current 2.5" drive will.  Those just
aren't meant for video editing and such.

You can get 7200rpm 2.5" but they use more power, run hotter and cost
quite a bit more, and are probably not worth the cost given a 3.5" drive
will still be much faster.

Of course I think most 3.5" enclosures do requrie a power brick to be
used so that is a bit of an inconvinience, and they may not be as
durrable as 2.5" drives when moved around.

Lennart Sorensen