OT?vsftpd

Alan Cohen alan-QVObF66B6qeOg/Yh5kgvkFaTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 20:57:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 11:03, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Alan Cohen wrote:
> > The ftp client is TSX, an O/S that doesn't support secure-anything.

> Wonderful :)  I just had a look at http://www.sandh.com/tsx32.htm.
> It doesn't seem to have any features not available in a modern Unix
> but I guess you have apps tying you to the platform.  I like examining
> the features of different OSes and hadn't heard of this one before.

TSX (PDP11) started in the 70's.
TSX32 (80386+ platforms) started in the 80's.
I've been closely involved with it for over 25 years. I'd be tickled
pink to tell you more about it.

> > Sitting right next to it is a linux box. The thinking behind
> > "alan.command" was to create something of a relay, ie: something
> > that would scp the just-received TSX <filspc> onto another far away
> > box.

> FTP already supports this functionality, although it does require
> non-passive mode so firewalls can give you trouble.
>
> Basically you can start an ftp client on A, ftp to B and have it
> transfer a file to C.  This is why FTP uses both tcp/20 & tcp/21 in
> non-passive mode by the way.
>
> If I were faced with this problem I'd consider using expect to get it
> working.  It allows you to script an interactive session, so anything
> that can be done on the command line can be achieved through expect.
> -Rob

It would certainly be terrific if TSX (which can't do a secure-anything)
could, with the help of a Linux intermediary, end up doing a secure copy
(scp/ssh/sftp). But I don't yet see how.

Presumably, "A" is TSX running an ftp client and "B" is Linux running
the vsftpd server to which TSX connects. I don't see how you can wedge
the functionality of "have it (ie: machine B) transfer a file" inside
the vsftpd server.
--
Sincerely,
Alan Cohen alan-bdq14YP6qtTV+N59fa8YiVaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org voice: 416-783-9826